Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Its been snowing non-stop for almost 2 whole days! People have been saying that it hasn't snowed like this here since 1985...I wonder if that's true. Either way with last week's rain storm taking out power and messin' up the water supply here, its been a pretty rough week for the peoples of Vancouver! Gosh, I think the water supply advisory is still in effect, I wonder how those who don't have power are going to boil their water to drink...

Today we thought about going snowboarding, but the conditions of the road weren't very great for driving. Actually a lot of the city has shut down for the day, UBC being one of them since they lost power last night. All flights into Vancouver have been cancelled, so you know that it was a pretty serious storm. I stayed over at Jessie's place with Albert and we took a walk outside this morning. I have to admit, it was a little erie at first walking around. It was kind of apocolyptic, since there were random stray cars and buses abandoned on the street over night and noone was on the streets that early in the morning.

Since its such a rarity over here in Vancity, I decided to take a photo document of snowstorm 2006 here.

Snow fall begins! (Saturday Night - 7:00 pm)
A light blanket of fluffy snow covers Gary's car....aw, how nice (Sunday Morning - 1:00 am)

Still snowing??? (Sunday Morning - 11:00 am)
hard to see, but its STILLL snowing just as hard! (Sunday Afternoon - 3:00 pm)

STILL SNOWING!!! (Sunday Night - 9:00 pm)
Let's hope that the people of Vancouver make it ok through all of this. Its not the same as in Toronto where the salt trucks race out onto the streets and have them in fairly good shape by the morning. The roads are icey and there's more rain/snow to come, making things pretty treacherous. Let's also pray that the homeless shelters in Vancouver are able to take in people on the street, its not usually this cold here and its gotta be a semi-emergency to try to get everyone warm and inside these next few days.

No comments: